Saturday and sunday

Saturday, went out and bought another rear rim found a good one, as the rims I just bought from amazon really didn't look as good as they did online, so I just didn't have confidence that they would be able to handle me plus the trailer, they are shrader compatible, so I at least won't have to find special stores to get tube.
I was able to get the extra thick tubes made by goodyear and some thick 26" tires that are not that much smaller(maybe a couple of inches), but you definitely notice the difference when pedaling, which means those hills will be a skoosh easier to pedal up, yea!
Fatter/wider tire means more support, and lets hope it can deal with the trailer 'shimmy' every time I go over a bump.  I think there should be a warning on the Surly Bill trailer to not use 700c rims, the torque is all wrong, just plain wrong, 26" seems right, width and torque.
I have noticed over the few days I have been here, California has a smoking problem, no not just the pot smokers, but the cigarette smokers are everywhere, it's like a plume of pollution, the pot heads though, sure don't inspire confidence in retail situations, people too stoned to know how to ring things up.
A plod race of workers, or quasi-workers since they don't always get the job done, which means they take longer to get the job possibly done, because there is no assurance that they will ever get the job done right.
Less than 288 miles until San Francisco, the golden gate, then it's time to leap frog to Barstow, and then I hope I can find some more cheap travel compatible environs.   As Cali has a severe homeless problem, which limits the stealth camping opportunities...
I'm longing for some comforts of home, but sadly I know I just haven't gotten there, yet.  And a doggie, can't wait to get a doggie.
I long to sleep through the night, all through the night, haven't slept all the way through the night since September.  Even when it's quiet, calm, my mind is thinking of the next 25 - 30 miles....

Sunday, made it to Rio Dell, and the road ahead looks bleak, as far as places to stay, might have to find that little place off to the side of the road, but this here in California, where they love their freeways.  So might find that camping spot I've been looking for...

New rim, the 28 spoke 26" wheel seems to be holding up, and I have the extra one plus the old 700 rim, so I feel safe.  But it is taking some time to get used to a smaller wheel back there, the hills are easier, but figuring out what gear to be in on what appears to be flat.  The ride is different as well, and the shimmy isn't as bad, so that's a plus.
 The old 700, sitting third string...
 See the 1.75" x 26" fits on the 700 frame with room to spare.
 And the new wheel, in place and rideable.

Found a $20 bill right after leaving Eureka, the bright moment to a day that started with a flat tire on the trailer, a bit of steel belted tire got lodged in the tire, had to pull it out before putting in the new tube, in the parking lot of a pawn shop, two blocks from the motel I had stayed in.  Tire was fine when I left, then died, I'll save the tube for later, patch it up one of these days.
Eureka is not a nice place, as the homeless junkie folk just start poring out from all over in the morning, as I'm trying to get directions using the Mcdonalds wifi, they kept coming up asking for things.  One little girl who hadn't found bottom yet asked for dry socks, true, it's been a while since a girl tried using 'wiles' upon me, I decided that the best way to help her it would be best to not help.
Also after several miles I found a couple of credit cards, so I'll cut them up and toss them in the trash, so did something for someone else today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to Bangs...Pop 1500er so....

More art art art.....