Day one an two out of Arizona...

Spent my last day in Arizona, worst thing I can say is it seemed like one long trailer park, the housing just didn't do it for me.
The road out was fine, and yup, more hills.  Had a goad of getting out of AZ, 13 miles and getting 13 more into NM, I made that, but I couldn't find a place to camp until I found one of their country roads, pulled off, and set up camp a few feet from a cowpie that's been there for a while, so I should be okay, with the hat and riding my bike I tent to spook most of the cattle I see on the side of the road.
But I made it through, now tonight I spend my first night in New Mexico.
Been riding in the road since the shoulder is pretty messed up, and with as little traffic there is on US 60 it's been okay, only the jerkwads who want to play "wavy games' are honking.
As I type this offline I hope the next place has wifi, because I need to buy some brakes and have them waiting for me ahead.  I spent a half hour trying to fix the front brake, and the swing arm was skipping when I took it off I discovered it was pretty well stripped.  So I took it off and used some vice grips to act as the swing arm, which lasted all of 30 more minutes, until that broke.  Then I had to break out the extra parts and put the old rear brake on there and it's sketchy at best, so for the big downhills I walk the bike.
The air is pretty dry here, went through a lot of water.  Still a gallon and a half left, along with some tea and a large bottle of Aloe/mango juice in reserve.
Day two, started with, yup, another flat tire, pulled three bits of metal out of the tire, then tubed it up, and got back at it.
Made it to Quemado, nice place, there's wifi, and I ordered more brakes, and General Delivery to the post office in Magdalena, which is about 80 miles ahead, so the brakes should be there on wednesday, and so will I, or thursday.
Last night was another cold one, hope I can get past these high altitudes soon, or find a better way to bundle up, took a few minutes to warm back up.

One more state down, and one more to go....
 Like I said, taking a pic of the countryside just doesn't convey the vastness.
There's my little campsite, nothing too special, I discovered that if you turn the Bivy inside out, set it over the tent while I packed up the rest, the ice will form, and all you have to do to dry the Bivy is shake the ice off it.
Time for some spicy popcorn tea, and New Japan wrestling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip to Bangs...Pop 1500er so....

More art art art.....